Cloverfield

Nightwolf

Name : Nick

Cloverfield

Post by Nightwolf on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:13 am

Well I said I may post a review and here it is.

Spoiler:
    Here's a quick run down of what it's about: Rob (Michael Stahl-David) is about to leave for Japan to start a new job. His friends decide to throw a supprise party on his last night in New York. The whole party is being documented by Rob's best friend Hud (T J Miller) on video camera. Half way through the party, a tremor hits the building. The guests decide to head to the roof to see what's happening only to see a giant explosion in the background causing debris to head in their direction. The people head down from the roof to the street to see people running in the streets all still being filmed on Hud's video camera. The guests see a huge object bounce off the side of a building and bounce and slide down the road to stop in front of the camera.

What you see next is harrowing, strong and an image of terror as the camera and the people are staring at the severed head of the Statue Of Liberty. Seconds later the camera turns to see our first look at Cloverfield, a giant 350 feet tall monster attacking New York City. Now whilst the whole "monster attacking city" idea has been done before, it has never been done quite like this. Cloverfield is truly unlike any film you've ever seen before. The idea of seeing the whole film through a video camera is original, different and terrifying. It really creates a new kind of film expierience that transforms into an excellent film. Some people may be put off by the whole shaky camera shooting, but that's not what the film is about. It's about being part of the movie yourself and going along for the ride. And what a ride it is. You'll be drawn in from the opening scenes right through to the end as you'll feel a real sense of danger, fear and of course, being very close to Cloverfield! And Cloverfield is something to behold too. The monster itself is terriyfing and has the great knack of scaring you when it's not around because you know it could be anywhere around the camera. Some people may feel that where the monster came from and why is it attacking New York is never explained a bit off putting to the plot. But it's easy to forgive that and sit back and enjoy one of the best films in recent memory. Films like Star Wars broke the ground for sci-fi and being ahead of it's time, Cloverfield is no different. This truly does break new ground and it works very well. This is highly reccomended by yours truly.

Five out of five from me.

Thanks for reading!

cheers
    Chojin

Name : Craig

Re: Cloverfield

Post by Chojin on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:32 am

I saw this film a little while ago, and I was very impressed by it.

I do have one critism about your review, though, and I apologise if I am not completely accurate on this, but Cloverfield is not the first film to be shot as if from a standard video camera, are you forgetting The Blair Witch Project?
    Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:53 am

Ah good point. I've never seen The Blair Witch Project so that never came to mind. LOL!
    Fizzie

Name : Sam

Post by Fizzie on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:07 am

Yeah, that's kinda the only thing putting me off this movie. The Blair Witch Project worked so well being shot like that, I don't think this movie should have used that technique, to be honest. But I'll reserve proper judgment until I've finally watched it.

Name : Craig

Post by Chojin on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:18 pm

I've not seen The Blair Witch Project, but I still agree with Cloverfield being a good film.
    Oxide

Name : Jeff

Post by Oxide on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:57 pm

This film rocks but the way it's shot does let it down rather a lot.
    Fizzie

Name : Sam

Post by Fizzie on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:08 pm

Disappointing. Very.

I hadn't seen it 'til this weekend. A bunch of us have been watching horror movies and monster movies all weekend and this was one of them.

When I first heard about this movie, I was stoked!! Then when I discovered how it was shot, I was put-off.

So, you can imagine how much I wanted to be surprised (in a good way) when I finally saw it... but I wasn't.

You hardly even see the Cloverfield Monster, and when you do; the camera's shaking all over the place and constantly turning away from the monster!!

I felt no connections and had no feelings towards the characters what-so-ever. I didn't give a sh*t if they died! Let them! Nobody watching the movie gives a damn about them.

Even the touching/moving scenes failed to be touching/moving simply because you couldn't care less about the characters and just want them to get on with things so they can run into the monster in some hope of us actually seeing it for more than five shaky seconds!!

I know the feeling they were trying to achieve by filming it this way, but they failed miserably.

We actually find ourselves constantly yelling "Hold the camera still!!" and "Lift the camera up!!" (even those of us who'd seen it before).

And, come on, an hour into the film and nothing has happened that we've actually seen properly!! WTS is that about!?

This movie would have be awesome if it was shot differently. I'm really disappointed. It didn't feel like a movie at all.

And, of course, it's likely there'll be a sequel. Do I care? Not really. My love for monster movies is the only thing keeping me slightly attached to this. I wanna see the monster. So I only hope they film it's (possible) sequel properly.

I'll no doubt buy the damn thing and watch it several more times (as I said, I have an attachment to monster movies and creature features and this one was good - just badly filmed). I don't hate it (before anyone accuses me of such), but I'd like to ninja kick the people who thought filming it in this way was a good idea. _'

The monster itself is impressive and interesting. There's so much about the monster that you don't see, and that you don't even know!! And no, that's not what makes it good!! It doesn't give it a feeling of "mystery". It gives it a feeling of incompleteness and annoyance.

I can't tell you how much I feel like I've missed-out because it was filmed in such a bad way. I actually feel robbed of what should've been an awesome movie.

Really disppointed.

Level: Chibi

Post by Kaos on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:31 am

God this flim sucked so much balls.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:17 am