Otaku Beats

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Final Fantasy VIII

Fizzie
    Fizzie

Name : Sam

Final Fantasy VIII Empty Final Fantasy VIII

Post by Fizzie Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:58 pm

I figured I'd make a topic for this game now. We have a general Final Fantasy thread when talking about the games as a whole, or when you have something to say about any one of them, but maybe you don't think it's enough to spark off a proper topic. But, I have something to kick start this game's discussion. The story line. Or rather, the multiple theories of what the story line really was.

Since it's release Final Fantasy VIII has always been subject to the "Marmite Effect". You either love it or you hate it. And unfortunatly, I've found that most people seem to hate it. Me? I've always loved it. Despite it being kinda complicated and having many plot holes, a ridiculous and badly written twist, and questions that remain unanswered even after finishing the game... I still had alot of fun playing, and I've replayed it a few times too.

One of the most popular interpretations of the game's story line can be found here. It pretty much explains everything as it appears to be.

I'd like to hear your thoughts that. As well as your own interpretations. And also this this, which Kaze brought my attention to and I've been reading through today.
    Fizzie
    Fizzie

Name : Sam

Final Fantasy VIII Empty Re: Final Fantasy VIII

Post by Fizzie Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:55 am

Whilst I find the dream/death theory interesting, and plausible, I can't say I'm entirely convinced by some of the argument here.

Who healed Squall? I'd always assumed Rinoa. There's no reason (as far as I can remember) for her not to have been able to heal him, even from a distance. It's what white mages do. Other than that, perhaps it was a point that was meant to be revisited, but, due to bad writing (and given the whole orphanage story, it wouldn't suprise me).

Why are they debating moomba? o_O It's Final Fantasy. It's had talking cats and random monsters in all/most it's game. And these ones barely have any vocabulary. They struggle to speak. It's not like they're quoting MacBeth or anything.

Ok, so, regarding the monsters in general, this game may have meant to be different, and it'd certainly be an interesting way to apply classic FF elements. But... I don't buy it. Why are we questioning the appearance of these, and other monsters? So they only appear after disc 1. Annnd? There's a whole other 3 discs to play through. This is where things actually open up. Disc 1 spent alot of time on getting your team together, learning basics, learning more than basics, setting things in motion.

Ok, I can't argue Norg. But I guess the reason I never questioned him was because this is fantasy game. I don't see the point in questioning every "wtf" character. XD And his species is explained anyway. But, again, as nothing even comes of this battle, I'm assuming more bad writing. ¬_¬

Hang on. Why mention the floating garden? Where's the problem with that? Ok, as you probably tell, I'm writing this whilst reading the argument (so I don't forget everything I wanna say by the time I get to the end), and I'm now seriously doubting argument has any real substance to it.

When Kaze explained it to me, I got the "ahh, it all makes sense now" kinda feeling. As much I didn't wanna believe that 3 discs of a 4 disc game were just an utterly pointless dream sequence, I could see how things he was relaying all fit together. But now, I'm not so sure. Whoever wrote this theory, um, it's good in parts, but they're making it sound as if they've never experienced a Final Fantasy game in their life before this one.

And I'm already tired of the "such-n-such doesn't come up until after disc 1". No sh*t. It was disc 1. How bored and ripped-off would you feel if the next 3 discs failed to add anything new and interesting? ¬_¬

This mention of Rinoa showing no interest in Squall in disc 1 is, quite frankly, rubbish. I've actually just rewatched their first meeting in the ballroom, and their second meeting on the train. What game was this guy playing? o_O

And I love the way this guy is making out that everything good happening to Squall (saving the world, getting the girl, etc) is purely because it's his own dream. Yet he doesn't question how, in disc 1 Squall goes through a dramatic "Disney" episode, in which at first he can't dance for f*ck, and within a few fumbling sections, he's suddenly during the main chorus. Confident, and perfectly intime, he manages to dance what are complicated steps when considered to the simple ones he couldn't get his head around a few seconds a go.

And we're talking about moombas who are struggling to speak in disc 2? o_O

Also, regarding Squall/Rinoa and Seifer/Rinoa. I don't know what he's going on about. Whilst Seifer may have Rinoa's past love; that's not the case anymore. She even says "I think it was love". Keywords being "think" and "was". I never, through out the entire game, got the feeling she still had any real feelings for him. I'd always thought her affections were for Squall.

The comments regarding the ending however, really do add-up. But they can also have a different meaning. The meaning most consider canon. And you do have to remember that, whilst most of the ending clips might be from disc 1; not all of them are. And the way for them to get back to where they're meant to be, was to remember. They had to remember themselves, their friends, feelings, everything they could. And as Squall was the only one near-death, it's obvious why he had so much trouble focusing.

But the symbolism he describes regarding Squall finally dying, really does make alot of sense. Especially if you rewatch the ending with this inmind. But, that's also the simple powers of influence at work. Because this idea is already in your mind prior to watching, so, of course, that's what you're looking for. But, the same could also be said for the "canon" way of looking at it. The ending seems to work for both theories.

A note too that, in the video shown as the credits are rolling (the video Selphie and Irvine) record, Squall never appears. If the dream theory is correct, then perhaps this video recording could support that. Perhaps the video is canon to that theory. But, that would mean we missed a hell of lot while playing "Squall's Dream" as everything seemed to work out in the end afterall. So just who saved the world, and how, and why didn't we get to play? =( Also, you'd have to explain why Rinoa points up to the shooting star at the end of that video. She doesn't just point, she looks over to someone. Someone revealed to be Squall in the after-credits ending. But, if you're going by the dream theory, this part (which isn't from the video recording), could all be part of Squall's final rest.

Another note though, regarding that; the same was kinda implied in Final Fantasy X. The before-credits ending continued with the idea of Tidus being gone forever. But the after-credits ending showed us different. And, whilst some assumed this clip was just Tidus in his own rest, I took it as meaning he'd come back. =)

But, back to Final Fantasy VIII. My thoughts on the white feather, and the images racing through Squall's mind are kinda like this (and I don't even know how much of this fits the canon because I can't even remember how most of it goes):

Squall can't seem to find his way back, and Rinoa knows this because he's not in the place they promised to meet. Knowing he's in danger of falling into non-existence, she uses her powers to find, and help, him. The feather, which could have been sent to either find or help him, was sent by her. It found him there, and whether by it's magical power, or not, jogged Squall's memories. Unfortunatly, all of this coming back to him at once put great strain on him, and he finally ends-up passing out. Or, perhaps, he even died this way.

Rinoa finds him, and they return to the place they promised to meet. This was either possible because of Rinoa's power and love, or because Squall was able to remember everything before passing/dying. And, either because of this, or Rinoa's healing powers, he escaped from death (if he did die, and not just pass out - lol).

Regardless of how much I do or don't accept the dream theory, this certainly made for an interesting read. =)
    Chojin
    Chojin

Name : Craig

Post by Chojin Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:24 am

I wouldn't say that FFVIII is like marmite, I'd never touch marmite. I don't love the game, but neither do I hate it. It's one of those games that I can tolerate. On my one and only playthrough, I got everyone to level 100 before I completed it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 am